Friday, August 1, 2014

Have You Gone For Your Annual Check-Up Yet?

I know I have mentioned that at times my mind thinks of the craziest things.  Having a terminal disease does that, I guess.

After being guilty of not having a physicial for several years (and I mean many years), I find my concern for when was the last time you went a priority! Yes, I mean you, the person reading this.

For my females:
  • Gynecological Tests
  • Mammograms
  • Colonoscopy
  • Annual Physical
  • Bloodwork to screen for Diabetes
  • Possibly Genetic Testing for BRCA Gene
For the males:
  • Urologist Exam
  • Colonoscopy
  • Annual Physical
  • Bloodwork to screen for Diabetes
I would be asked these questions and immediately think to myself, "whatever, I feel fine, I don't have time for that."  Well, guess what - look at ME! It happened to me.

Yes I smoked.  Yes I didn't go to regular doctor appointments - so why wouldn't it happen to me. But the fact is, the cancer I have is Adenocarcinoma - the cancer that effects non-smokers. The fact is I had NO typical symptoms of a smoker with cancer - no coughing, no congestion, nothing - just a fever that in the winter anyone would think was a virus.

So the bottom line is.... if you haven't been to your doctor since July 2013 or earlier - PLEASE SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT NOW. Please do it for yourself and your family.  




2 comments :

  1. Jennifer! Thank you! I appreciate the comment on my blog and I really appreciate the follow! I'm following your blog and... I put a link to your blog from mine... Hope you don't mind!! Hang in there and be strong... This isn't for the faint of heart, that's for sure! ~Karin

    ReplyDelete