Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Endobronchial Ultrasound Biopsy (EBUS)

The other day I let everyone know my doctor feared a recurrence of my cancer and scheduled my EBUS yesterday.  Well, after my alarm not going off, Greg and I made with 5 minutes to spare.

That was the good news.  The bad news is the cancer is back. it is in my lymph nodes in my chest - and that is the only place.  (I had a whole body PET Scan and only my chest "lit up").


At this point I can only tell you where the pathologist confirmed during the procedure.  Luckily for me, at the Main Campus Cleveland Clinic a Pathologist sits outside the room and they hand him samples and he looks under the microscope.  He confirmed it is in my Hilar Lymph Nodes (several yellow dots on one side) and has also progressed and moved to the middle (dark blue dots).The doctors told me they took DOZENS of samples and will have a full report in 2  to 3 days and will know if there are other lymph nodes with cancer too small to see.

I have so many questions and won't have any answers until the Pathology Report is complete.  My Oncologist knows the preliminary spots and wants to see me the day after the report is complete.  So my hope is either Friday or Monday I will be seeing him to determine what to do next.....chemo, radiation, surgery??? I have no idea.

I was originally diagnosed as a Stage IIIA.  My understanding is once it moves to the middle I will become a Stage IV.  Again, I need to meet with the oncologist to get the full story and what we can do.

I will post as I know things.  Kind of in a fog right now with my mind going a mile a minute.  Needless to say, even though I overslept my alarm yesterday, last night I was up about 20 times pacing....

1 comment :

  1. Jennifer, this is not the news I am sure we were praying for. All I can say is keep calm and kick cancer's butt AGAIN! And, get your sleep, walking around like a zombie is not benificial in any way and the only thing it accomplishes is depriving you of sleep. I will keep you in my prayers. It is tough I know, this is my 2nd cancer, 25 years between, but have had problems over the years with complications from my treatment last time, but every day on this side of the grass is a gift and I am gonna kick lung cancer's butt too! Huggs, Heather

    ReplyDelete