Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Treatment Finally Getting Started

Today, 4 weeks after surgery, I met with the Oncologist and his nurse.  My sister Maria, daughter Maria, and two sons - Pootie and Gregory, went with me to be sure we all listened to what he had to say.

Here it is in a nutshell:

  • One tumor in upper lobe, one tumor in lower lobe, 2 lymph nodes had cancer and one was 2 mm away from the major artery - because of this, I must have chemotherapy as there is a 50/50 chance of recurrence.
  • Tomorrow, I have to attend a "chemo class" to learn about the details of treatment
  • Friday, I have a consult with a Radiation Oncologist to see if he recommends Radiation
  • Next week I will have a port put in my chest to receive chemotherapy
  • Chemotherapy will be in 4 cycles.  I will go ONE day for a 1/2 day of therapy and this will occur 4 times spread out 21 days apart.  
  • There will be two drugs given to me as my "cocktail" for chemotherapy
My actual first chemotherapy session is Friday, July 11th.  They don't want to start it too soon as they want the wound from my chest tube to heal and for me to build up some strength.  I actually spent the afternoon at the hospital, then went to the grocery store and drove around one of those electric wheelchairs for a 1/2 hour.  The pain is extremely manageable now that the chest tube is out - I just feel extremely tired :)

What a group at the first chemotherapy information session

My version of Wii Mario Kart
By this time I was ready for bed

No comments :

Post a Comment