Saturday, April 18, 2015

I WILL BE A COFFEE BEAN

As I sat down to type this update, one of my "adopted" children sent me the story below.  It amazes me how people seem to know what I need, when I need it, and how it warms my heart. (Make sure you read the article below).

This week has been a long, strenuous, tension-filled week.  My biopsy was Tuesday.  The Pathologist was in the room and they told me that day they found malignant cells.  I had to wait a few days for the actual pathology report.

Thursday, the Oncologist office called and said, "we have the report, can you come in today?" (It's never good when they say come in today, but I knew that).

There are several lymph nodes in my chest that the cancer has spread to.  My treatment is going to be concurrent Radiation and Chemotherapy.  They are changing the Chemotherapy drugs to something stronger than the last time.  The Oncologist thinks the last time may have just simply slowed things down instead of killing it.

Last year, radiation was NOT an option as the lymph nodes are too close to my pulmonary artery and my esophagus.  But, now, he says we have no choice.  The cancer is back and we have to fight it aggressively. This may cause severe issues with my esophagus and ability to eat - which we have to watch carefully.

Next Thursday, April 23rd, I meet with the Radiation doctor where he will "map out" where the radiation beam will go.  I start Radiation on Monday, April 27th.  It will be 5 days a week for 6 weeks - 30 treatments.  At the same time, I will be getting Chemotherapy 1 day week.  They tell me each Chemo treatment last 6 hours - so it looks as though one day a week will be an allllllllllll day affair.

The Chemo will be to drugs - Carboplatin and Taxol - apparently the Taxol can cause severe allergy side effects so I was told I must have someone drive me home from each treatment because I will receive heavy doses of Benedryl.

Needless to say, its been a long week.  The hardest part was calling my baby brother to tell him I won't be able to make it to his wedding because of this damn cancer.  Most people know, my mother didn't make it to my wedding because of cancer - how can this happen twice in one lifetime to the same family? 

I will make it through this - it is hard telling myself that right now.  I'm still not over the shock and the fear is rising each day.  I pray for the strength and optimism to make it through the next 7 weeks.

I ask for your prayers - and end with a question.....

Are you an egg, carrot or coffee bean?

Click here - I am a coffee bean (thank you Shannon C. - I love you)

No comments :

Post a Comment